The City of Hutchins is ideally situated along the I-45 and I-20 corridor in Dallas County. Hutchins is a close knit, diverse community of 5,500 residents in 9.2 square miles. The City is surrounded by the City of Dallas to the North, West, and East, the City of Wilmer to the South, and the City of Lancaster to the West. Development along the I-20 and I-45 corridors and international intermodal and rail development are enhancing the communities profile both in commercial and residential development. This is an exciting time to join the Hutchins Police department!
The Police Department
The Hutchins Police Department was established in 1969 and was operated in the current City Hall building located at 321 N. Main Street, In 1993 the Police Department moved to the existing Hutchins Postal Office building located at 205 W. Hickman St. In 2019, The City of Hutchins passed a 5.5 million dollar bond to construct a new State of the art public safety building. In 2021 the Police department moved to the new facility located at 550 W. Palestine Rd. This facility offers state of the art computer aided dispatching capabilities, along with an exercise room, and emergency storm shelter. Over the past five decades the Police department has grown from a one man night watchman, to 22 sworn personnel and 8 civilian personnel in communications, code enforcement, and animal control. The Police department has an annual operating budget of 2.2 Million dollars, that allows excellent salary and benefits for our Officers, along with training opportunities, and career growth.
Performs routine patrol and law enforcement duties, including responding to calls, enforcing traffic laws, communicating with citizens, arresting suspects, and preparing reports. Maintains appearance and operation of patrol vehicle and equipment. Responds to and investigates traffic accidents and provides traffic control. Provides information to the public and community on crime prevention.
Compensation & Benefits
This position pays between $26.71 - $34.09/hour DOE
Education & Experience
- Must meet all TCOLE requirements and pass a thorough back ground check.
- Licensed by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement at the time of examination.
- Consideration will also be given to those candidates currently enrolled in the Police Academy.
- Must be a U.S. citizen. Be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Eyesight correctable with glasses to 20/20 vision.
- No more than four (4) moving violations in the last 3 years, including accidents.
- No convictions, probation, or deferred adjudication above a class B Misdemeanor.
- No Family violence (preventing the carrying of a firearm.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. Successfully pass a written Entry Exam.
- Successfully pass a job related physical assessment.
- Successfully pass an oral review board. Take a polygraph examination.
- Successfully pass a thorough background investigation.
- Successfully pass a psychological examination.
- Successfully pass a drug test.