The City of Hutchins offers a comprehensive benefits package to fulltime employees including health, dental, short term, long term, and life insurance paid 100% by the city. We are members of TMRS at as contribution rate of 7% and match 1:1.5%. The City is growing at an exponential rate and is seeking highly qualified applicants for the Animal Control Officer position in order to accommodate the changing demands of the community.
To perform tasks related to the enforcement of animal control laws within the City of Hutchins. Educates the community about stray or vicious animals and related diseases; operates the animal holding facility; captures, impounds, relocates, and when necessary, disposes of animals; and maintains records. Investigates animal complaints. Issues citations for violation of Hutchins's ordinances and state law. Prepares reports as appropriate. Testify in court as directed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responds to calls for assistance and/or citizen complaints by operating a city vehicle.
- Patrols the city and takes appropriate measures to bring compliance with city ordinances.
- Impounds stray and owner-released animals.
- Traps wildlife that poses a nuisance or risk to the public.
- Provides efficient, caring, human treatment to all animals under their care and control.
- Provides humane euthanasia under the direction of the Chief of Police for animals deemed non adoptable; that pose a threat to the health and safety of the citizens or their pets; or when necessary to prevent prolonged suffering to animals that are ill or injured.
- Completes required reports, and maintains records in accordance with city policy and state law.
- Ensure the proper and legal disposition of animals through owner claims, adoptions, and transfers to humane organizations.
- Cleans and maintains the animal shelter, shelter equipment, and vehicles. - May be required to appear and testify in court regarding animal-related cases.
- May perform other assignments and handle special projects as required.
- Regular and timely attendance is required as well as the ability to get along with others in a professional manner.
- Responds to emergency situations as requested, such as cruelty to animal complaints, control of poisonous or dangerous animals, and stray animals, including hazardous and severe weather conditions.
- Ensures the adherence to safe work practices and procedures.